Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Maine Shopping

It is not surprising that I did some shopping while in Maine. 

First of all, when we were in Deerfield, we stayed right next door to the Yankee Candle Palace.  We've always made fun of Yankee Candle, but BFF MAB and I both love the Fresh Mint candles.  We went in there and stocked up.  I also like apple and fall scented candles.  I got a few for this fall. 

At "The Mount" in Lenox, MA, I bought Victoria's The Essential Tea Companion and an Edith Wharton key fob for my sister.

In Freeport, I visited Bridgham & Cooke, the British goods store that I read about on Muffy's blog.  I bought a Black Watch plaid throw, some gloves, a Mars bar and a Milky Way bar.  I like the British version of Mars bars so much better than the American version.  I wanted to try the Milky Way and for $0.50, why not?  It tasted like the American version without the caramel.  At the Brooks Brother's outlet, I bought a chocolate brown merino wool cardigan and a gray merino wool cardigan.  I also bought a kelly green cable knit crewneck pullover.  I can't wait to wear it.  We didn't hit too many stores on our first trip to Freeport.  Later in the week, we went back just to go to LL Bean.  I didn't have high expectations for LL Bean.  If you read Muffy's blog, you will know why.  I was able to find three pairs of corduroys, a couple of cardigans, some turtlenecks and some long sleeved tees. 

A trip to Maine is not complete without a visit to the Maine State Prison Showroom.  Prisoners make items out of wood and sell them in the store.  The funds go to pay child support and other restitution.  I bought a few things for my mother and I, plus some wooden cars for the nephews. 

I went to a store in Camden called Camisole.  I found a Lanz gown and a couple of turtleneck sweaters.  I love Lanz gowns and they are hard to find these days. I ventured into Admiral Buttons, but was not impressed.  I didn't like the clothes, plus the staff were a little bit uppity.  Sorry.  I know that this is a popular place.

One of my favorite stores in Portland is LeRoux kitchen shop.  I got a basket and went all over the store stocking up on things that I need/want.  I bought a mixing bowl, gadgets, Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena cleaners, tea, etc.  I also went into a similar kitchen shop in Bath.  There I bought a tea kettle and a place setting of dishes for fall.

One afternoon, we went to Stonewall Kitchen.  I bought baskets, jams, mustard, crackers, cookbooks and gadgets.  It is such a fun store filled with great products.

I also discovered Reny's, a Maine department store.  I went crazy.  I bought six tubes of Tom's of Maine toothpaste, two boxes of Bromley's tea, peppermint and a toy for Bo.  The prices were almost too good to be true.

A few weeks ago someone sideswiped my car.  Yesterday, I took it to have it repaired.  We have laughed about the rental that I got.  I thought I would get a car that is smaller than a Ford Focus.  No, they gave me a Chevrolet Silverado pick up truck with an extended cab.  I've never driven a pick up truck before.  I am the queen of the road in that thing.  Too bad that I don't have anything to haul this week.  I hope to have my car back Thursday afternoon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

No comments: