Friday, 27 November 2009

Happy Day After Thanksgiving and...WAR EAGLE!!

We had a good Thanksgiving. My sweet mother did almost all of the cooking. I mixed up a cranberry salad and she poured it into the mold. I also mixed up the filling for a pecan pie and a chocolate pecan pie for her to pour into the shells and bake. That's all I did. She normally makes a sweet potato casserole with pecan topping. This year she made sweet potato dumplings. I was skeptical, but they turned out great. All you do is take frozen sweet potato patties, cut each in half, and wrap each in a Pillsbury crescent roll. Put them in a baking dish and pour a mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans over them. Bake for 25 minutes. We had so much food left over. My sister fixed her next door neighbor a plate and took it to him. We'll eat the leftovers today and tomorrow.

This afternoon is set aside to watch what in Alabama call THE IRON BOWL That's what we call the Auburn-Alabama football game. This year Alabama is undefeated and number 2 in the nation, but we will be pulling for Auburn. I graduated from Auburn which makes me a DYE HARD AUBURN FAN (Pat Dye was the head coach in the 80's, hence the spelling of the word "DYE" instead of "DIE"). There are a lot of people in the state that are rabid fans of their team. We sort of turn our noses up at them. I think it's a little much to center your life around a college football team, especially if you've never even been to the town where the college is located. Then, if their team loses, it becomes the end of the world. Then they get on a campaign to fire the coach...all because they lose one football game. I'm sure there are people in other states that are the same way, but it seems like Alabama is the worst.

I hope everyone has a good Friday. If you go shopping, I hope you find some good deals, and please, please be careful.

Happy Friday and.......WAR EAGLE!!!!

**UPDATE: Auburn fought hard and led for most of the game, but Alabama scored the winning touchdown with only 1:29 left in the game. Auburn did not have time to score another touchdown. I'm still proud of the good game that they played today. They played their hearts out, but lost 26-21. WAR EAGLE, anyway.

4 comments:

Her Preppiness said...

Glad that you had a good holiday. The dumplings sound awesome.

mary anne said...

Ha! You haven't been to Boise lately, have you?

BroncoMom said...

Sounds like you had a yummy Thanksgiving Day.
Just to let you know, I was pulling for your Eagles yesterday. Your team put up one heck of a fight. Sorry that it did not come out they way it should have.......
BroncoMom

Miss Janice said...

So happy you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Turkey sandwiches...white bread, mayonaisse, turkey, and salt & pepper--that's what I love. Unfortunately, this year I didn't do Thanksgiving at my house, so I didn't have the leftovers:-(