Saturday, 6 December 2008

I still haven't figured out who sent me the invitation to the party. It's not a customer where I work, BFF has never heard of them, coworkers have never heard of them and my mother has never heard of them. I wondered if it was a mistake, but it had my name on the front of the handwritten envelope.

Last night on the way to my mother's, I stopped at Chick-Fil-A and bought a Peppermint Chocolate Chip milkshake. BEST.MILKSHAKE.EVER. If you like mint and chocolate together, I highly recommend it. I have been wanting one for over a week. I told myself if I was good on my eating all week, which I was, that I could have one Friday night. It was also my reward for getting through two weeks of mail duty.

I know this sounds weird, but to me McDonald's is my Christmas go to food. I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama and there were only 2 McDonald's, one on North Memorial Parkway and the other was on South Memorial Parkway. We rarely ever went there because it was "all the way over on the Parkway". We always went there for lunch after the Christmas parade. So now when I have a holiday activity, I always stop by McDonald's for a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke. (remember, in the South, all carbonated beverages are called "Coke") . It is sort of nostalgic.

I think I am going to start giving our Northern readers some lessons in Southern language so that they will not be confused when us Southerners talk Southern. Today's lesson:

Coke - any type of carbonated beverage. Types of coke are Co-Cola, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, and of course TaB. The person that works for Coca-Cola or Pepsi is called the "Coke Man".

Bobs - peanut butter and crackers that come 6 to a pack. A good snack is a Coke and a pack of Bobs.

Krystal - fast food restaurant chain headquartered in Chattanooga, TN that serves small square hamburgers that are steamed with small diced onion, pickle and mustard on a small square bun. The #1 is 4 Krystals, fries and "Coke". In the South, it is a challenge to see how many Krystal's one can eat.

Debbie Cakes - The box says Little Debbie. Also headquartered in Chattanooga. They can be bought 10 small to a box at the grocerry store or individually at convenience stores. They make Oatmeal Cream pies, brownies, holiday cakes, Swiss Rolls. My favorite are the Fudge Rounds and I can eat almost an entire box of Swiss Rolls in one day, if they are fresh. They also have a Thrift store in Collegedale, TN which is a favorite stop for our family.

If us Southern bloggers ever mention something that is confusing, just ask me and I will try to explain it the best I can.

It's time for me to eat a snack. I think I'll have a Coke (diet Dr. Pepper), and I think I'll eat a Snickers bar instead of a pack of Bob's.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay warm where you are. It is in the 20's here now.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I was out shopping yesterday and I almost stopped at Chick-Fil-A to try the Peppermint Chocolate Milkshake. But it was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g here, so ended up at Starbucks for an eggnog latte and a shortbread cookie.

My favorite Debbie cake is the Zebra Cakes, and the Christmas Tree Cakes that they sell this time of year.

Kim said...

My friend from Mississippi always called her Bobs "Nabs" (I guess their brand was Nabisco).

We're so boring in the midwest, we just called them crackers.

tickledpink said...

I'm from Mississippi and we do call Bob's=Nabs! That's so funny! I have been calling them Nabs forever, and my parents call them that too!